Glynn Bird speaks to SE Radio Host Nate Black about how to maximize productivity and learning by consuming and producing open source software. Topics discussed include: the impact of open source software on the development process, why open source contributions are important for your career development and getting a job, how GitHub is the new resume or CV, how to make contributions through pull requests, how to ensure that your pull request is accepted, how to get started on your first open source product, package management and distribution, the semantic versioning convention and how to communicate and understand different types of changes, how to get critical updates to your dependencies while avoiding breaking changes, how to get paid for writing open source software, why “security by obscurity” doesn’t work, understanding dependency bloat.
- Glynn Bird’s homepage
- Glynn on GitHub
- Glynn’s Twitter, https://twitter.com/glynn_bird
- PixieDust — a productivity tool for Python and Scala notebooks
- Greenkeeper — dependency monitoring and testing for NPM
- Do Software Engineers Understand Open Source Licenses?
- Birdreader — Glynn’s replacement for Google Reader