Host(s): Markus Michael
Michael Kircher and Markus Voelter introduce the topic of software product line engineering. They motivate when and why product lines are important to consider and what makes them so special. Further, they introduce some key terminology, such as platform, core asset, feature model, commonality, and variability.
- The Software Engineering Institute (SEI) is driving some of the community efforts.
- The Software Product Lines conference 2007 is the place to meet and discuss with researchers and practitioners.
- A nice report on Variability in Software Product Lines by Felix Bachmann.
- Krzysztof Czarnecki wrote a very nice Overview of Generative Software Development, where he explains the terms problem and solution space as well as the continuum between ‘routine configuration’ and ‘creative construction’.
- A software product line community web site maintained by Charles Krueger, an independent consultant on product line engineering.