Recording venue: Internet
Tobias Kaatz talks to former Kixeye CTO Randy Shoup about company culture in the software industry in this sequel to the show on hiring in the software industry (Episode 208). Prior to Kixeye, Randy worked as director of engineering at Google for the Google App Engine and as chief engineer and distinguished architect at eBay. He has spoken on various occasions about how to build great teams and establish a company culture that supports teams in what they need to deliver.
In this interview, Randy talks about what a healthy company culture should look like and who is responsible for its development. He also shares his opinion on how teams should work and what they should look like. He then discusses key performance indicators (KPIs) that can measure success and show when managers and employees are on track.
Based on his experience working at various small and large companies, Randy presents examples of healthy and toxic company cultures and their effect on teams and products. He and Tobias also discuss whether multinational companies can still get their teams to be productive even when they’re located around the world.
- Randy Shoup on Hiring in the Software Industry: https://www.se-radio.net/2014/08/episode-208-randy-shoup-on-hiring-in-the-software-industry/
- Randy Shoup on “The Virtuous Cycle of Velocity”: http://youtu.be/EwLBoRyXTOI
- Randy Shoup on “Scalability at KIXEYE” (also on how to scale teams): http://www.infoq.com/presentations/kixeye-scalability
- KIXEYE “Chassis” on Github: https://github.com/Kixeye/chassis
- Netflix on Github: https://github.com/Netflix
- Randy on Twitter: https://twitter.com/randyshoup
- QCon San Francisco: http://qconsf.com/